<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14638187\x26blogName\x3dCALL+TO+DISCERNMENT\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://calltodiscernment.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://calltodiscernment.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3668006721206829503', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Call To Discernment

Calling Christians to Biblical Christianity. Christians must have discernment in all areas of life in this end time of deception, realizing also that American leadership of both political parties are leading us into the New World Order of the coming antichrist. Do not be conformed to this world. Rom. 12:2. Expose the deeds of darkness. Eph. 5:11. "He that is not zealous against error, is not likely to be zealous for truth." J.C. Ryle ----- [NEW AND IMPROVED BLOG UNDER CONSTRUCTION] 

July 16, 2015

6:55 PM - My Preferred Way to Read the Bible

I'm as guilty as most Christians in not spending enough time in God's Word. This is one idea I like and have heard it's also a good way to memorize scripture better. But like the author says it's an individual thing since God deals with us as individuals.

by Jim Elliff

It's presumptuous for a man to suggest that he knows the best method for everyone to read the Bible. But I'm going to tell you the way that I best read the Bible . . . and why it works so well for me.

I've been a Bible reader for many years and the plans I've followed are certainly varied. At times I've read the Bible through every seven weeks. I believe I even read it in a month a time or two. Such "marathon" plans are a little much for most people, but can be helpful in some special situations. I've read in various sections each day. I've read books at random, making sure all the books are eventually covered before my allotted time is finished. I've used plans that matched certain books together to give more of a chronological feel to the reading. Most of my believing life, I've tried to read the Bible once a year at least, with some portions read multiple times. Some years I failed to do anything very consistent, but usually only because I did not determine a plan of action beforehand.

No plan for Bible reading is a complete waste of time, obviously, but I've now come to believe there is a better way of thinking about Bible reading. I'm recommending immersion or saturation in one or two books of the Bible over several months as my preferred method. Frankly, I have never known Bible reading to be so transformative and interesting as with this method, both for me and for many friends who have tried it at my suggestion.

Three Tempting Replacements for Meaningful Bible Reading:

Continued
http://www.ccwtoday.org/article/my-preferred-way-to-read-the-bible/

Labels:


Post a Comment

© Steven Garren 2005 - Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Subscribe in a reader